Sunday, May 14, 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Hams It Up... A Lot

Welcome back to another edition of Comic Relief! where I talk about all the goings on in the world of nerd!

Last week the long awaited sequel to Marvel's breakout hit Guardians of the Galaxy was released. After the surprising success of one of the lesser known comic titles in the Marvel brand, people have been curious as to how the sequel could measure up to the first film. I personally saw the film here this past Monday, and in my opinion it more than measures up. However, there was one problem I did have with it and it's that it tried way too hard, in moments, to be the first film. (WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD)



It is no secret that a huge amount of the charm we found in the first Guardians of the Galaxy was it's quirky sense of humor and an excellent, classic soundtrack. While the soundtrack is certainly there, and there are plenty of moments that certainly live up to that same standard, the majority fall ultimately just short. In other words, it really WANTS to have that same clever humor, but it definitely feels hollow at times. This fact is not aided by the fact that there is literally a joke almost every 5 seconds of screen time and about half miss their mark.

That being said, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol:2 is a far cry from a bad film, in fact there are many moments that I feel surpass the first. For instance, the baby Groot dance number in the opening minutes of the film more than matches Chris Pratt's dance solo that introduced us to the first film. Watching that adorable tree creature dance along to great music while the rest of the team battles a giant space monster was fantastic. Yondu and Rocket's subplots were well written and show again just how much Rocket is James Gunn's favorite member of the team (although I do wish we had gotten to see more of Yondu's early time in the Ravagers to better feel the loss that he has endured by being banished from the fleet). I also thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic between Kurt Russel and Chris Pratt in the film. I also feel it is important to note that the ending of the film left me and the entirety of my row sobbing, very emotional closing to a film. (PS there are 5 post credit scenes, so be patient).



All in all, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is another solid edition to the Marvel Cinematic. On it's best days it will  stun audiences just as much if not more than it's predecessor, on it's worst it falls only a little short from it's first films, but nailing a sequel is a difficult task to begin with so kudos to James Gunn for pulling of one that is so good. I give Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 a solid 7,5 out of 10. If you had asked me right after seeing it would have undoubtedly be higher, but after calming down and actually examining what I watched there are some flaws that can't be ignored.

This has been another edition of Comic Relief! I hope you've enjoyed, and I'll see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment