Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Unite the League in the first trailer of Justice League

Welcome back to another edition of Comic Relief! where I talk about all the goings on in the world of nerd!

Alright, so I have been waiting to write about this for quite some time. Back in December of last year, Zack Snyder promised us a Justice League trailer "before the end of the month." After failing to deliver on that, he promised us a trailer was right around the corned and soon. Well after quite possibly the LOOSEST definition of that word as possible we finally got a trailer some 4 months later in March, and boy did it deliver. The hype is real ladies and gents, Justice League hit the internet with an incredible first trailer:


What a treat. Honestly I had goosebumps the first 10 times I watched it, and it still gets me excited. Now there is a lot of worry in the fan community to the very mixed response to the last Snyder film: Batman vs Superman. That is understandable, however, I feel like I might be able to put a lot of those worries to bed, or at least give everyone a few reasons to get on board with giving this film a chance.

Now the visuals of this film displayed in the trailer are stunning, however effects and aesthetic have never been a problem for Zack Snyder. Even his worst movies like Suckerpunch look breathtaking, so I am going to skip that. The biggest thing that I feel this trailer shows us is that these heroes are becoming the main 7 of the DC film universe and they are becoming the beacons of hope they were always intended to be. A while back I wrote a piece on moviepilot defending the current state of the DCEU. Probably the biggest complaint about the DCEU is the considerably darker tone than it's competitor at Marvel. While I do feel that the DCEU needs to maintain it's tone to a degree to keep it distinct and be true to itself, I have always felt that Man of Steel and BvS (perhaps even Wonder Woman) were always meant to be the darkest films of the DCEU (the hyperlink will take you to my moviepilot article). From what we have seen in the trailer, this is very much the case. While the film is still darker than the Marvel universe, the characters have much more levity to them. Batman and Wonder Woman are revitalized and their energy is contagious to the rest of the league (as it should be).


Now there have been some complaints that Superman wasn't in the trailer, so I am just going to end those silly complaints now. WHY WOULD YOU REVEAL THE BIGGEST TWIST OF THE MOVIE IN A TRAILER?!? While I do think the trailer's weakest point is allowing us to understand a little more of the narrative and was a overload of action sequences, the fact we don't see the man of steel is important to the film's shock value. That's like having a Captain America: Civil War trailer showing the scene of Bucky killing Stark's parents. You don't lead with the big mystery of the film. We know that Superman is going to come back, HE'S SUPERMAN, but don't spoil the big surprise.

All in all there is a lot to be excited for in this Justice League trailer, my personal favorite moment was seeing Batman interact with Gordon, one of the things I have been anticipating since JK Simmons was announced to play him. Anyways next time on Comic Relief! I am going to talk about the trailer that Marvel responded with: Spider-Man: Homecoming second trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment